Home » SMART Tech Resource Center, Powered by AllOne Foundation
SMART Tech Resource Center, Powered by AllOne Foundation
What is the...... SMART Tech Resource Center and Drop-In Lounge?
Located at the NEPA Inclusive headquarters in Pittston, The SMART Tech Resource Center will be designed as a place where people with disabilities can ‘drop in’ to seek short term socialization and assistance in a multitude of areas of support. These areas could include assistance finding and applying for jobs online, writing and updating resumes, searching for apartments and related subsidized programs, applying for food bank assistance, along with a multitude of other services. The center will also function as an advocacy hub, where participants can seek help from NEPA staff in areas of need, where small group meetings can be held, and where small group social nights can occur. The Center model allows NEPA staff to fully customize services to the needs of the individual, promoting a more authentic experience through natural supports. Additionally, the Center will be available for use by the general public, creating an inclusive environment where people with disabilities and people without disabilities can work, learn, and socialize together.
The SMART Tech Resource Center will be designed as a place where people with disabilities can learn how SMART Technology can enhance their ability to live inclusively and independently in the community. An explosion of new smart home automation devices promises to make it possible for individuals with disabilities to have greater independence, control over their own lives, and to participate in and contribute more fully in activities at home, work, school and in the community. These devices are “generic”, which means that they can be purchased “off-the-shelf’ from all the major sellers and used “as is.” This often makes them more affordable and easier-to-use.
Generic “smart home” devices can do such things as turn on/off lights and fans, change channels on the television, identify who’s at the door and allow entry, establish security systems, dial 911 in case of emergency, control thermostats, raise and lower shades, and more! In some cases, it may communicate with a SMART Watch to monitor seizures and other medical conditions.
The Smart Tech Resource Center will feature a variety of integrated smart technology devices that will be integrated together to showcase how smart technology works to help people navigate their own homes. Devices such as Alexa/Google Home will serve as the ‘brains’ of the center and will voice activate other devices, such as lights, TV’s, doorbells, cameras, and alarms. They will also serve as calendar reminders, schedules, and medication logs.
Features of the center include:
- Lounge style center complete with couches, chairs, tables, TV’s
- Outfitted with a SMART Tech Demonstration System including Google Home Hub, lights, doorbell, medication and calendar reminders, and more!
- Drop-In capability Monday through Friday 9AM-5PM.
- Periodic ‘social nights’ for friendship building.
- Monthly SMART tech demonstrations for the general public
- Outreach SMART Tech Demonstrations throughout NEPA where we will bring SMART Tech to you in an effort to help people in more remote locations learn about SMART tech.
- A SMART Tech ‘Library’ of SMART technology that is available.
- Information regarding funding sources for SMART Tech.
- Opportunities to research employment opportunities, write resumes, apply for jobs, and research company information.
- The SMART Tech Resource Center will be located at 22 East Street, Pittson, PA, 18640
See How We Can Support You!
NEPA Inclusive is a provider of services for people with disabilities who have a ‘Waiver for Service’ through the Pennsylvania Office of Developmental Programs (ODP). We provide In-Home and Community Supports, Companion Services, Supported Employment, and Supported Living Services.Contact Us